Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Do Covers Make The Books?

When you look at the cover of a book, do you see sexy and nearly naked? Or do you see what you expect the book to be about? As authors, we want our book covers to reflect what is inside the book. We feel like you as readers want to be able to tell something about the story by what the cover looks like. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. The publisher usually has the last word, and sometimes, the only word on what goes into the creation of the cover.

I'm lucky. My publisher listens to what I ask for and tries to provide based on what they know sells. I've been very happy with all of my covers. Even the few that seemed a little weird proved to be good sellers. I don't complain about my covers at all.

Still, I'd like to know what you think about covers you see. Do you chose a book to buy based on the cover? Does it even play into your decision to buy it? Will you check on a book that looks good by the cover even if your not sold by the title? I'd really like to know what you think.

When I chose a book, I look at the cover and then chose by how I like the blurb. I know some readers who go strictly by the blurb or by reviews and don't pay any attention at all to the cover. Tell me what you think. I'd really like to know.

I'm going to share some covers with you just for the fun of it. Some are mine and some are friends of mine. Enjoy!   Marla Monroe My Website      My Email





No comments:

Post a Comment